six for the victims

One
I'm at work, setting up birthday party tables for someone rich when I get a message from my sister
Asking am I in London, am I safe
Because she heard what happened in Brussels this morning
Two
My friend is from Belgium, I message her, ask how her family and friends are
They are safe but she is afraid
She is in London, too far from the people she loves if anything happens to them
Three
Each time it seems worse and even in London we are getting uneasy
Stiff upper lips hide fear
Four
The number of violent events in recent news in Europe that immediately come to my mind
Each time one of my friends or their families have been in the affected city
It feels much more personal when you live in Europe
Five
From North America it is scary and tragic but far away
Another story on the news
I am right next door. This is happening in my friends homes
Six
I hope the world lights up for Brussels the way it did for Paris
I hope we all light up for every attack, not just the ones that make the headlines

Comments

Popular Posts