Night thoughts from a city fox

I am the daughter of coyotes

I have seen the sun

I eat with bears and sleep under the rain

The sky loves me and sends me gifts of starlight and moonlight
And green spirit dancers to shine on my hair

I have traveled with the river and run with the hawks overhead
Their shadows a gift of speed by my feet

I am a guardian of trees and they are guardians of me
A mother shelter like the nest of the blackbird in the reeds

The hills lift my soul high
The mountains cradle me on their heights
I am nursed with the rocks and stones of the valley

The wind is my lover and I will fly far and wide
To sleep with the lakes and lie with the ocean
And though I travel far and my range is broad
The earth is my home
And I will never be far from it

I am a hailstorm in the city
I am a flood down Oxford street
I roar in the high rises like a lion in the air
I am like a lightning strike in the heart of the crowd
I am wild and quiet
I am the calm before the storm
There is snow in my soul, I belong to the hurricane
I am all this. I am not tame.
And there are angels in my name.

Comments

Popular Posts